From Sega Retro
- For the Sega Mega Drive game, see Monopoly (Mega Drive). For the Sega SC-3000 game, see Monopoly (SC-3000).
|System(s): Sega Master System|
|Licensor: Parker Brothers|
|Number of players: 1-10|
This short article is in need of work. You can help Sega Retro by adding to it.
Monopoly is a licensed game based upon the Monopoly board game, and was developed by Nexa and published by Sega for the Sega Master System. Up to 10 players can play in a single game, any of whom can be computer-controlled. The cartridge features a battery back-up RAM, so games can be saved and resumed later.
Monopoly was the first Master System game to be developed in the US in an attempt to capture the mood of the American public, who at this point were greatly favouring Nintendo's rival console, the NES, over Sega and their Master System. All previous games, despite sometimes being localised, were developed by Sega and other companies within Japan, although ironically the project originally started with Chinese developers at the helm.
Development on Monopoly took about six months - three months in Nexa were brought on-board to "save" the project after initial testing was not considered to be up to Sega's standards. It was also released at least twice in the US - initial print runs (identifiable by incorrect use of a capital "P") contained an Easter egg programmed by Kevin Seghetti, which Sega had Nexa remove shortly after launch.
- Main article: Monopoly/Magazine articles.
|Sega Retro Average|
|Master System, SE|
ROM dump status
- Computer Entertainer, "October 1988" (US; 1988-10-15), page 08
- ACE, "January 1989" (UK; 1989-xx-xx), page 76
- ACE, "January 1989" (UK; 1989-xx-xx), page 77
- Complete Guide to Consoles, "" (UK; 1989-10-16), page 62
- Complete Guide to Consoles, "Volume IV" (UK; 1990-11-xx), page 101
- The Complete Guide to Sega, "" (UK; 1991-05-xx), page 58
- Console XS, "June/July 1992" (UK; 1992-04-23), page 142
- The Games Machine, "December 1988" (UK; 1988-11-17), page 51
- Mean Machines Sega, "October 1992" (UK; 1992-09-xx), page 135
- S: The Sega Magazine, "July 1990" (UK; 1990-06-07), page 24
- Sega Power, "October 1991" (UK; 1991-09-05), page 58
- Sega Pro, "February 1992" (UK; 1992-01-16), page 19
- Sega Pro, "April 1993" (UK; 1993-03-11), page 71
- Tilt, "Mars 1989" (FR; 1989-0x-xx), page 76
|Monopoly games for Sega systems/published by Sega|
|Monopoly The Medal (2005) | Monopoly The Medal: 2nd Edition (2008)|