From Sega Retro
|This article needs cleanup.|
This article needs to be edited to conform to a higher standard of article quality. After the article has been cleaned up, you may remove this message. For help, see the How to Edit a Page article.
The SH-2 is a 32-bit RISC processor developed by Hitachi (and currently produced by Renesas) as part of the SuperH family.
|This article needs to be rewritten.|
This article needs to be rewritten to conform to a higher standard of article quality. After the article has been rewritten, you may remove this message. For help, see the How to Edit a Page article.
The Sega Saturn is powered by two Hitachi SH-2, 32-bit RISC processors. These particular SH-2 chips run at 28.6364 MHz (versions were developed which ran as high as 40 MHz), and are capable of processing up to 37,227,320 instructions per second (MIPS) each (1.3 MIPS per MHz), for a combined rating of 74.45464 MIPS (MIPS however, is not a true indication of processor performance in many cases). Each SH2 comes with an internal 4 KB RAM cache in order to speed up processing tasks.
"The SH2 is a small (2 cm square) but fast RISC chip that has been designed primarily to process graphics. Like all RISC processors, it's more streamlined that conventional CISC-based chips and carries out instructions in far fewer clock cycles." — Next Generation
- Clock rate: 28.63636 MHz
- CPU core: 32‑bit RISC instructions/registers, 37.227268 MIPS (1.3 MIPS per MHz), up to 2 instructions per cycle
- DMA unit: DMAC (Direct Memory Access Controller), parallel processing
- 2 internal fixed‑point math processors: MULT multiplier DSP, DIVU division unit, parallel processing
- Bus width: 64‑bit (2× 32‑bit) internal, 32‑bit external
- Word length: 32-bit
- Supports Master/Slave configuration with dual SH-2
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 File:SH-2A.pdf, page 2
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 SH7040, SH7041, SH7042, SH7043, SH7044, SH7045, Renesas
- ↑ Sega Saturn hardware notes (2004-04-27)
- ↑ File:Hitachi SuperH Programming Manual.pdf
- ↑ File:SH7604 Hardware Manual.pdf
- ↑ File:Hitachi SuperH Programming Manual.pdf, page 390
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 File:SH7604 Hardware Manual.pdf, page 3
- ↑ File:SH7604 Hardware Manual.pdf, page 219
- ↑ File:Sega Service Manual - Sega Saturn (PAL) - 013-1 - June 1995.pdf
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 File:SH7604 Hardware Manual.pdf, page 22
- ↑ File:ST-103-R1-040194.pdf, page 23
- ↑ 12.0 12.1 File:SH7604 Hardware Manual.pdf, page 303
- ↑ File:Hitachi SuperH Programming Manual.pdf, page 31
- ↑ File:Hitachi SuperH Programming Manual.pdf, page 155
- ↑ File:ST-103-R1-040194.pdf