Service Games, Hawaii
From Sega Retro
|Service Games, Hawaii|
|Merged into: ?? (1961-03-31)|
This short article is in need of work. You can help Sega Retro by adding to it.
The Hawaii Service Games was effectively a "successor" to a previous corporate venture by Irving Bromberg named "Standard Games, Hawaii". Standard Games was founded in 1934 and sold earlier in 1945. Both the Hawaiian Standard Games and Service Games specialised in distributing slot machines and other coin-operated devices, but Standard Games focused on civillian markets while Service games to US military facilities across Hawaii.
This Service Games is considered to be the root of what is now known as Sega Corporation, albeit with very loose connections (most notably the name, Service Games).
On February 15, 1952 a distribution agreement was arranged with Richard Stewart, in which Stewart would open a distribution office in Japan and Service Games, Hawaii would supply him with machines and a 10% commission on gross sales. This would become Service Games, Japan. Service Games, Panama and Service Games, Nevada would also follow.
On March 31, 1961, the Hawaiian Service Games was sold to a group headed by Harold Tadao Okimoto, owner and president of Island Tobacco Co. of Honolulu, for $1.4 million USD and its name changed to Service Music of Hawaii, Inc.. The Service Games name, however, was kept by Irving and Martin Bromberg (now Bromley). Its post-sale history is not known.
- Ristaucrat 45 (Ristaucrat; 1950)
- Music Mite (Williams; 1951)
- Atomic Jet (NASCO/Conat Sales; 1952)
- Billboard, "April 20, 1957" (US; 1957-04-20), page 93
- Cash Box, "July 30, 1960" (US; 1960-07-30), page 44
- https://i.imgur.com/r0STMda.png (archive.today)
- File:TheHonoluluAdvertiser US 1946-12-28 page 12.png
- File:TheHonoluluAdvertiser US 1961-05-18; page 7 (A7).png
- File:TheHonoluluAdvertiser US 1961-08-16; page 5 (A5).png
- https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/183650686/harold-tadao-okimoto (archive.today)
- https://images.findagrave.com/photos/2017/264/183650686_1506125511.jpg (archive.today)
- https://images.findagrave.com/photos/2017/264/183650686_1506124301.jpg (archive.today)
- https://images.findagrave.com/photos/2017/264/183650686_1506125537.jpg (archive.today)
- File:TheHonoluluAdvertiser US 1957-05-04; page 10 (A10).png
- Billboard, "June 3, 1957" (US; 1957-06-03), page 90
- http://archives.starbulletin.com/96/10/15/community/obits.html (Wayback Machine: 2020-02-04 09:49)
- File:TheHonoluluAdvertiser US 1961-07-21; page 19 (B3).png
- Cash Box, "October 14, 1950" (US; 1950-10-14), page 25
- Cash Box, "August 23, 1952" (US; 1952-08-23), page 29
|Service Games, Hawaii & Nevada & Japan||Nihon Goraku Bussan & Nihon Kikai Seizou||Sega Enterprises, Inc.|
|Sega Enterprises, Ltd.||Sega Ltd. & Gremlin||Sega Ltd.|