From Sega Retro
|System(s): Sega Mega Drive|
|Developer: Capcom, Sculptured Software|
|Licensor: Marvel Entertainment Group|
|Sound driver: GEMS|
|Number of players: 1-2|
This teeny-tiny article needs some work. You can help us by expanding it.
The Punisher is a beat-'em-up game for the Sega Mega Drive, based on the comic book series with the same name. It is a port of the 1993 arcade game of the same title by Capcom, and stars The Punisher (player 1) and Nick Fury (player 2) attempting to defeat The Kingpin (also the antagonist of Spider-Man vs. The Kingpin).
The Punisher was the fourth game published by Capcom on the Mega Drive (following Street Fighter II': Special Champion Edition, Super Street Fighter II and Mega Man: The Wily Wars) after a history of licensing porting rights to Sega themselves, although the actual development of this game was outsourced to Sculptured Software. Several heavy cuts had to be made to fit the game onto the (still generous) 16 Megabit cartridge, with most sprites and background redrawn to fit a smaller scale.
This was notably the only home conversion of The Punisher arcade game ever produced as despite Capcom's prominent support for Nintendo platforms at the time, no Super NES version was made.
- Cover artwork: Lou Harrison
- Main article: The Punisher/Magazine articles.
|Sega Retro Average|
ROM dump status
- Electronic Gaming Monthly, "March 1995" (US; 1995-0x-xx), page 116
- File:NewReleasesCatalogueApril-May1995AU.pdf, page 11
- Sega Pro, "June 1995" (UK; 1995-05-11), page 62
- 1700 igr dlya Sega, "" (RU; 2003-xx-xx), page 182
- Cool Gamer, "9" (RU; 2002-10-13), page 165
- Electronic Gaming Monthly, "March 1995" (US; 1995-0x-xx), page 36
- GamePro, "April 1995" (US; 1995-xx-xx), page 49
- MAN!AC, "06/95" (DE; 1995-05-10), page 52
- MAN!AC, "07/95" (DE; 1995-06-14), page 69
- Mega Fun, "06/95" (DE; 1995-05-24), page 78
- Mega Play, "June/July 1995" (US; 1995-xx-xx), page 47
- Player One, "Juillet/Août 1995" (FR; 1995-0x-xx), page 116
- Sega Mega Drive Review, "2" (RU; 1995-xx-xx), page 104
- Top Consoles, "Julliet/Août 1995" (FR; 1995-xx-xx), page 98
- Tricks 16 bit, "Tricks Sega Gold 800 igr" (RU; 1998-xx-xx), page 21