From Sega Retro
- Not to be confused with Yasuhiro "Yas" Takagi.
|Date of birth: 1965-10-12 (age 56)|
|Employment history: |
Naughty Dog (2002 – )
Namco Bandai America (2008 – )
Nintendo Software Technology (2012 – )
|Role(s): Designer, director|
|Education: Tokyo University of Science (Engineering)|
This short article is in need of work. You can help Sega Retro by adding to it.
Hirokazu Yasuhara (安原 広和) was game and level designer for Sega. He remained the chief map designer for the early Sonic the Hedgehog games all the way through Sonic R in 1997, and the shelved Sonic X-treme. He continued to give his design expertise to Sega of America projects, such as the 2001 Floigan Bros.. Between Sonic R and Flogain Bros. he got money from Sega of Japan to be involved in Disney rides and attractions.
In 2008, Yasuhara departed Naughty Dog to take up a job at Namco Bandai America, where he worked on Pac-Man Party, which released in 2010.
In 2012, Yasuhara was hired by Nintendo Software Technology Corporation, a US-based division of the company of the same name best known for developing the Mario vs. Donkey Kong games.
He has worked with the Education team of Unity Technology Japan to create game-design educational materials since 2016.
|“||I was opposed to [Sega's] decision to create games that use 'Sonic-something' so that they can sell it easily. I wanted to make good games, not any games that used the Sonic character in a haphazard way.||„|
— Yasuhara on his work on the Traveller's Tales-developed Sonic titles
- Fatal Labyrinth (Mega Drive; 1990) — Planner (as Carol)
- Pyramid Magic (Mega Drive; 1991) — Special Thanks to (as Carol)
- Pyramid Magic Special (Mega Drive; 1991) — Special Thanks to (as Carol)
- Sonic the Hedgehog (Mega Drive; 1991) — Game Plan (as Carol Yas)
- Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Mega Drive; 1992) — Game Planner
- Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Mega Drive; 1992) — Object Placement
- Sonic the Hedgehog Spinball (Mega Drive; 1993) — A Special Bow To
- Game no Kanzume Vol. 1 (Mega-CD; 1994) — Special Thanks to (as Carol)
- Sonic the Hedgehog 3 (Mega Drive; 1994) — Director
- Sonic the Hedgehog 3 (Mega Drive; 1994) — Lead Game Designer
- Sonic & Knuckles (Mega Drive; 1994) — Director
- Sonic & Knuckles (Mega Drive; 1994) — Lead Game Designer
- Sonic 3D: Flickies' Island (Mega Drive; 1996) — Playfield Design (SOJ)
- Sonic 3D: Flickies' Island (Saturn; 1996) — Playfield Design (SOJ)
- Sonic 3D: Flickies' Island (Windows PC; 1997) — Playfield Design (SOJ)
- Sonic & Knuckles Collection (Windows PC; 1997) — Special Thanks To
- Sonic R (Saturn; 1997) — Map Design Director
- Sonic R (Windows PC; 1998) — Map design director
- Floigan Bros. Episode 1 (Dreamcast; 2001) — Game Designers
- Sonic the Hedgehog Genesis () — Game Plan (as Carol Yas)
- Sonic the Hedgehog Genesis (Game Boy Advance; 2006) — Game Plan (as Carol Yas)
- Altered Beast (Arcade version) (1988) — credit unknown
- Sonic X-treme (Canceled) — Head Designer
- Sega Smash Pack 2 (2000) — Special Thanks
|Some or all of the following content should be mirrored on Sega Retro (or Retro CDN).|
- Main article: Photos of Hirokazu Yasuhara
- Hirokazu Yasuhara on Twitter
- Sonic the Hedgehog co-creator Hirokazu Yasuhara joins Nintendo (April 4, 2012)
- Classic Game Postmortem: 'Sonic the Hedgehog' (PDF version)