From Sega Retro
|System(s): Sega Mega Drive, Virtual Console|
|Developer: JSH, Sega CS M2|
|Peripherals supported: Team Player|
|Number of players: 1-4|
This short article is in need of work. You can help Sega Retro by adding to it.
Pepenga Pengo (ぺぺんがＰＥＮＧＯ or ぺぺんがペンゴ), sometimes just known as Pengo, is a sequel to the 1982 arcade game, Pengo. It was released for the Sega Mega Drive exclusively in Japan in 1995, and was the last first-party Sega Mega Drive game to be released in that region.
Pepenga Pengo differs significantly from the original Pengo and is now structured even more like a Bomberman game than its predecessor. The goal is the same as before - to defeat all enemies on screen, however the major difference is that Pengo can now create ice blocks to kick (with ). The rules have also changed regarding how blocks react with each other - pushing block A against block B will cause A to stop after impact, and B to continue the momentum. Placing three diamond blocks in a row will also destroy all enemies on screen, as opposed to just rewarding the player with a bonus.
Pengo can no longer smash ice blocks, however there are blocks that can be destroyed by kicking ice blocks into them. There is also an items system similar to Bomberman, affecting Pengo's speed and the amount of ice blocks he can create at one time. There is even a "battle mode" in which you can take on three other players. This idea would later be recycled with the 2010 arcade sequel, Pengo!.
Pepenga Pengo contains a port of the original game, though the music has been changed in this port to avoid potential legal issues (and is different to other ports of Pengo in this regard).
Pepenga Pengo has never seen an international release, however was brought to the Japanese Wii Virtual Console service in 2009. This version was once rated by the ESRB for North America, suggesting the game was due to international markets, but western versions never materialised.
- Main article: Pepenga Pengo/Magazine articles.
|Sega Retro Average|
ROM dump status
- Sega of Japan Virtual Console pages: Mega Drive
- File:PepengaPengo MD JP Box.jpg
- https://sega.jp/history/hard/megadrive/software.html (Wayback Machine: 2020-07-20 09:51)
- https://www.nintendo.co.jp/wii/vc/software/10.html (Wayback Machine: 2018-03-05 23:33)
- http://vc.sega.jp:80/vc_pengo (Wayback Machine: 2009-08-04 05:29)
- @VGDensetsu on Twitter (Wayback Machine: 2022-09-05 04:23)
- Famitsu, "1995-12-29" (JP; 1995-12-15), page 33
- Mean Machines Sega, "April 1996" (UK; 1996-0x-xx), page 84
- Saturn Fan, "1996 No. 5" (JP; 1996-02-16), page 77
|Games in the Pengo Series|
|Pengo (1982) | Pepenga Pengo (1995) | Ge-Sen Love: Plus Pengo! (2014)|
|Pengo (LCD) (1982) | FL Pengo (1982) | Ninku Gaiden: Hiroyuki Daikatsugeki (1995) | Pengo for Zaurus (2001) | Pengo (2001) | Pengo (Pocket Boy) (2009) | Pengo! (unreleased)|