From Sega Retro
|System(s): Sega Dreamcast|
|Publisher: Vivarium (Japan), Sega (US)|
|Peripherals supported: Dreamcast VGA Box, Visual Memory Unit, Dreamcast Microphone|
|Genre: Cohabitation Training Simulation/Doukyo-Gata Ikusei Simulation (同居型育成シミュレーション), Simulation|
|Number of players: 1|
Seaman, known as Seaman: Kindan no Pet (シーマン 〜禁断のペット〜) in Japan, is a Sega Dreamcast digital pet simulation game developed by Vivarium. First published in Japan by Vivarium themselves in July 1997, it was later localized in English and published in the United States by Sega in August 2000, featuring voice narration by renowned American actor Leonard Nimoy.
Like Christmas NiGHTS, the game received a special Christmas-themed version titled Christmas Seaman, a re-release in August 2001 titled Seaman: Kindan no Pet: 2001 Nen Taiouban with minor updated features (which served as the basis for the localized version), and a Japan-exclusive PlayStation 2 port in November 2001 titled Seaman: Kindan no Pet: Gaze Hakushi no Jikken Shima.
It debuted with the Dreamcast Microphone, which was bundled with the game. The game was not released in Europe (plans were once in place to release it there in 2001), though the Microphone accessory was (Planet Ring being the only game released in that region to be compatible with the peripheral).
Japanese consumers also had an option to buy a "Special Package" bundle, which as well as including the game and microphone, also included a clear VMU (as the game requires one to function).
120,000 copies of the game were sold in Japan in the first three weeks of sale.
For a while after its release, Seaman was the best-selling Dreamcast game in Japan, beating Sonic Adventure and SoulCalibur. Famitsu sales charts compiled until early 2004 show it as the third highest-selling Dreamcast game of all-time in that region.
In May 2022, Japanese coffee brand Mt Rainier ran a promotional campaign where a customer could scan QR codes to access augmented reality scenes. One of the QR codes leads to an underwater scene featuring Seaman, with it also appearing on their webpage.  It speaks in Japanese before swimming away.
|Language||Localised Name||English Translation|
|Japanese||シーマン 〜禁断のペット〜||Seaman: Kindan no Pet|
- Produced & Game Designed By: Yoot Saito
- Development Directed By: Satoshi Endo, Arka Roy
- Graphics Directed By: Atsushi Hotta
- Programings By: Kazuhiko Sugita, Tak Suzuki, Shigekazu Ito, Yoshito Hirose
- Graphics by: Tomomasa Ueda, Bujin Hirai, Nobuyuki Usuki, Koichi Okada
- Graphics by: Minoru Urano, Yoko Shibusawa, Yiting Fu, Cozzy Sumitomo, Makoto Iwanaga
- Narrations By: Toshiyuki Hosokawa
- Musics By: Trans Global Underground
- Developed by: Vivarium Inc
- Presented & Copyrights All Reserved By: Digitoys Co.,Ltd
- See You In Seaman2001
- Producer and Game Designer: Yoot Saito
- US Development Director: Arka Roy
- US Script Programming Team: Seppo Helava, Chris Craig, Alex Genadinik
- Narrator: Leonard Nimoy
- Casting and Recording: Webtone
- Localization Producers: Mari N. Schaal, Osamu Shibamiya
- Test Lead: Steve Peck
- Assistant Test Leads: Rick Ribble Jr., Bob Homan
- Music: Trans Global Underground (UK)
- Product Marketing: Stacey Kerr, John Golden
- Creative Services: Robert Schonfisch
- PR: Heather Hawkins
- Assistants to Mr. Seaman (Jellyvision, Inc.): Brian Chard, Kate Powers, Lina Chern, Amy Lippa, Shannon Miller, Mike Brumm, Steve Newman, Jeremy Hornik, Traci Todd
- Special Thanks: Buzzy's Recording, June Honma, Dylan Bromley, Klayton Vorlick, Toshiro Kezuka, Will Wright, Greg & Kim Weber, Liz Michaels, Jason Kuo, Hiroaki Ohmura, Jim Yamashita, Sandra Castagnola, Jin Shimazaki, Shinobu Toyoda
- Translator/Writer/DTP: Monika Hudgins
- Supervisor: Kaoru Ichigozaki
- DTP Advisors: Yoshihiro Sakuta, Osamu Nakazato, Eiichi Ogawa
- Producer and Game Designer: Yoot Saito
- System Designer: Aka Roy
- Director: Satoshi Endo
- Art Director: Atsushi Hotta
- Programmers: Kazuhiko Sugita, Takahisa Suzuki, Shigekazu Ito, Yoshito Hirose
- Sound: Tsuneo Kaneda
- Graphic Artists: Makoto Iwanagawa, Tomomasa Ueda, Nobuyuki Usuki, Minoru Urano, Koichi Okada, Yoko Shibusawa, Bujin Hirai, Yiting Fu, Cozzy Sumitomo
- Assistant Programmers: Ryo Takeishi, Makoto Fukuichi, Tomomi Hiramatsu
- All trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
- "WIFFLE" is a registered trademark of The Wiffle Ball, Inc. and is used with permission.
- Main article: Seaman/Magazine articles.
also published in:
- (JP) #1999-24: "1999-24 (1999-08-06)" (1999-07-23)
|Sega Retro Average|
- Main article: Seaman/Technical information.
ROM dump status
|1,193,124,912||2000-06-09||GD-ROM (US)||51048 V1.001|
|1,189,846,224||1999-08-02||GD-ROM (JP)||T-39401M V2.000|
- Seaman: Kindan no Pet (Dreamcast) Japanese box (back)
- http://sega.jp/dc/990401/ (Wayback Machine: 2007-12-09 07:34)
- https://sega.jp/history/hard/dreamcast/software_l.html (Wayback Machine: 2020-02-01 22:57)
- http://www.sega.jp/release/nr000713_1.html (Wayback Machine: 2005-02-09 19:08)
- http://www.sega.com:80/games/dreamcast/post_dreamcastgame.jhtml?PRODID=194 (Wayback Machine: 2003-12-19 00:14)
- http://www.ebworld.com/ebx/categories/homepages/dreamcast.asp (Wayback Machine: 2000-08-15 05:36)
- Edge, "October 1999" (UK; 1999-09-06), page 148
- Electronic Gaming Monthly, "June 2000" (US; 2000-05-09), page 30
- http://www.japan-gamecharts.com:80/dc.php (Wayback Machine: 2008-08-21 06:06)
- @Tracker_TD on Twitter (archive.today)
- https://www.mtrainier.jp/fukasugiru-iyashi/suikei/ (Wayback Machine: 2022-05-11 04:35)
- File:Seaman DC US Manual.pdf, page 32
- Dreamcast Magazine, "1999-24 (1999-08-06)" (JP; 1999-07-23), page 74
- GamePro, "August 2000" (US; 2000-0x-xx), page 40
- Electronic Gaming Monthly, "September 2000" (US; 2000-08-08), page 136
- DC-UK, "December 2000" (UK; 2000-10-23), page 80
- Dreamcast Magazine, "1999-24 (1999-08-06)" (JP; 1999-07-23), page 19
- Dreamcast Magazine, "No. 14" (UK; 2000-10-05), page 78
- Dorimaga, "2002-18 (2002-10-11)" (JP; 2002-09-27), page 34
- Edge, "October 2000" (UK; 2000-09-11), page 103
- Electronic Gaming Monthly, "September 2000" (US; 2000-08-08), page 155
- Entsiklopediya igr dlya Dreamcast, "Izdaniye chetvertoye, dopolnennoye" (RU; 2002-xx-xx), page 198
- Famitsu, "1999-08-06" (JP; 1999-07-23), page 30
- GamePro, "September 2000" (US; 2000-0x-xx), page 106
- Gamers' Republic, "August 2000" (US; 2000-xx-xx), page 64
- Next Generation, "September 2000" (US; 2000-08-15), page 106
- Strana Igr, "Sentyabr 2000 1/2" (RU; 2000-xx-xx), page 58
- Video Games, "10/2000" (DE; 2000-09-06), page 122
|Games in the Seaman Series|
|Seaman (1999) | Christmas Seaman: Omoi o Tsutaeru Mou Hitotsu no Houhou (1999) | ISAO Promotion Disc by Seaman (2000) | Seaman: Kindan no Pet: 2001 Nen Taiouban (2000) | Seaman Esa Disc (2000) | Seaman 2: Peking Genjin Ikusei Kit (Taikenban) (2007)|