Slap Fight MD
From Sega Retro
|Slap Fight MD|
|System(s): Sega Mega Drive|
|Developer: Toaplan, MNM Software|
|Original system(s): Arcade boards|
|Number of players: 1|
This short article is in need of work. You can help Sega Retro by adding to it.
Slap Fight MD (スラップファイト) is a Sega Mega Drive vertical shoot-'em-up game developed by MNM Software and published by Tengen. Released in Japan in June 1993, the game is an enhanced port of the 1986 Toaplan arcade game Slap Fight.
Two games are available: a port of Toaplan's 1986 arcade shoot-'em-up Slap Fight with the choice to use either remastered music or the original sound, and a separate game called Slap Fight MD, that has the same gameplay mechanics but new art, levels, weapons, and music (composed by Yuzo Koshiro). The option to switch between Slap Fight and Slap Fight MD is in the Options menu under "Game Mode," with Normal enabling Slap Fight and Special enabling Slap Fight MD.
shoots rapidfire; fires a single shot. In either case, the shots will not reach the end of the screen, so proper positioning is necessary. On the side of the screen is a menu of powerups. Some enemies leave stars that, when collected, moves a cursor to an item on that menu; press to use the powerup. If the player loses a life before using a powerup, the cursor is moved to the "speed up" powerup.
The late and limited release of Slap Fight MD meant that reportedly only about 5,000 copies were sold in total.
Slap Fight MD was later re-released as one of the 42 pre-installed games on the Mega Drive Mini in Japan and other Asian countries.
Legend: names with a * are Toaplan staff; names with a † are MNM Software staff.
- Main article: Slap Fight MD/Magazine articles.
|Sega Retro Average|
ROM dump status
- File:SlapFightMD MD KR Box.jpg
- https://sega.jp/history/hard/megadrive/software_l.html (Wayback Machine: 2020-07-02 23:21)
- Beep! MegaDrive, "July 1993" (JP; 1993-06-08), page 146
- 1700 igr dlya Sega, "" (RU; 2003-xx-xx), page 274
- Beep! MegaDrive, "July 1993" (JP; 1993-06-08), page 20
- Mean Machines: The Essential Sega Guide, "" (UK; 1993-11-18), page 90
- Famitsu, "1993-06-18" (JP; 1993-06-04), page 1
- Hippon Super, "July 1993" (JP; 1993-06-04), page 44
- MegaTech, "August 1993" (UK; 1993-07-20), page 68
- Mean Machines Sega, "September 1993" (UK; 1993-07-30), page 92
- Sega Saturn Magazine, "September 1995" (JP; 1995-08-08), page 85