Welcome to Sega Retro, a project from the people behind Sonic Retro. We aim to cover everything possible about Sega from the 1940s to today. We currently are working on 38,028 articles and have many more that are requested to be worked on.
While this wiki is designed to help the community by providing information, it is also dependent on the community to be updated. Anyone with an account may edit the wiki. As you feel more comfortable with the site, please feel free to make any changes or additions that you feel necessary.
List of abbreviations:
- This edit created a new page (also see list of new pages)
- This is a minor edit
- This edit was performed by a bot
- The page size changed by this number of bytes
8 December 2023
We have more than 8,000 Sega games
documented, from the slot machines of old to the cutting-edge titles of today. Every known release from every region of the world, both licensed and unlicensed
, for computers
, consoles, handhelds
and everything in between.
, covers, manuals, media and promotional material
, as well as internal documents you were never meant to see
; Sega Retro has a huge library of high quality scans dating back to 1945
and the database grows every day.
Audio and video
Hundreds of singles and albums, audiobooks, television broadcasts and even a few stage shows, not to mention the company's fondness for karaoke and its two house bands.
Including people, companies, history, toys, merchandise, secrets, venues, events, technical information, interviews... and Michael Jackson.
On this day, December 9...
December 9 (
- 1988 - Space Harrier is released for the PC Engine in Japan.
- 1989 - Tatsujin is released for the Sega Mega Drive in Japan.
- 1992 - Streets of Rage is released for the Sega Game Gear in North America.
- 1994 - The Lion King and The Story of Thor: Hikari o Tsugumono are released for the Sega Mega Drive alongside Samurai Spirits for the Sega Game Gear and Clockwork Knight: Pepperouchau no Daibouken Joukan for the Sega Saturn in Japan.
- 1995 - The second Joypolis indoor theme park, Niigata Joypolis, is opened to the public.
- 1997 - Bust-A-Move 3 is released for the Sega Saturn in North America.
- 1999 - Bakuretsu Muteki Bangaioh, Jet Coaster Dream, Dennou Senki Virtual-On Oratorio Tangram M.S.B.S. Ver. 5.4, DreamFlyer, O.to.i.Re: Dreamcast Sequencer, Star Gladiator 2: Nightmare of Bilsten, and Golf Shiyouyo are released with the Dreamcast Taisen Cable and Dreamcast Twin Stick accessories for the Sega Dreamcast in Japan. Dream On Volume 4 is released for the Sega Dreamcast in Germany and the United Kingdom.
- 2000 - Super Runabout: San Francisco Edition is released for the Sega Dreamcast in France.
- 2003 - Disney Princesses: Princess ni Naritai is released for the Sega Pico in Japan.
- 2004 - Sonic Mega Collection Plus is released for the PlayStation 2 and Xbox alongside Sonic Heroes for Windows PCs in Japan.
- 2006 - Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz is released for the Wii in Spain.
- 2008 - Sonic Unleashed is released for the PlayStation 3 in Canada.
- 2009 - Let's Tap: Rhythm Tap Free is released for iOS in Japan, North America, and Europe.
- 2010 - End of Eternity is released for the PlayStation 3 alongside Bakugan Battle Brawlers DS: Defenders of the Core for the Nintendo DS and Senjou no Valkyria 2: Gallia Ouritsu Shikan Gakkou for the PlayStation Portable in Japan.
- 2011 - Shining Force Cross Raid Guide Book 2nd, a book, is released alongside Kingdom Conquest for Android devices in Japan. Sega Mega Drive Classic Collection Volume 4 is released for Windows PCs in Russia.
- 2013 - Saka Tsuku: Pro Soccer Club o Tsukurou! Perfect Guide, a book, is released in Japan.
- 2014 - Empire: Total War is released for Linux devices through Steam in North America, Europe, and Australia.
- 2015 - maimai PiNK is released in Japanese Arcades for the Sega RingEdge 2 board.
Released on this day
- 1988: Space Harrier (PC Engine, JP)
- 1989: Tatsujin (Mega Drive, JP)
- 1992: Streets of Rage (Game Gear, US)
- 1994: Samurai Spirits (Game Gear, JP)
- 1994: Lion King, The Story of Thor: Hikari o Tsugumono (Mega Drive, JP)
- 1994: Clockwork Knight: Pepperouchau no Daibouken Joukan (Saturn, JP)
- 1997: Bust-A-Move 3 (Saturn, US)
- 1999: Dream On Volume 4 (Dreamcast, DE)
- 1999: Dreamcast Taisen Cable, Dreamcast Twin Stick, Bakuretsu Muteki Bangaioh, Jet Coaster Dream, Dennou Senki Virtual-On Oratorio Tangram M.S.B.S. Ver. 5.4, DreamFlyer, O.to.i.Re: Dreamcast Sequencer, Star Gladiator 2: Nightmare of Bilstein, Golf Shiyouyo (Dreamcast, JP)
- 2000: Super Runabout: San Francisco Edition (Dreamcast, FR)
- 2003: Disney Princesses: Princess ni Naritai (Pico, JP)
- 2004: Neverwinter Nights, Sonic Heroes (Windows PC, JP)
- 2004: Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn (Windows PC, JP (Complete))
- 2004: Sonic Mega Collection Plus (PlayStation 2, JP)
- 2006: Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz (Wii, ES)
- 2008: Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog (DVD, US (Vol. 2))
- 2008: Sonic Unleashed (PlayStation 3, CA)
- 2009: Let's Tap: Rhythm Tap Free (iOS, JP)
- 2010: Bakugan Battle Brawlers DS: Defenders of the Core (Nintendo DS, JP)
- 2010: End of Eternity (PlayStation 3, JP)
- 2010: Senjou no Valkyria 2: Gallia Ouritsu Shikan Gakkou (PlayStation Portable, JP)
- 2011: Kingdom Conquest (Android, JP)
- 2011: Shining Force Cross Raid Guide Book 2nd (Book, JP)
- 2011: Sega Mega Drive Classic Collection Volume 4 (Windows PC, RU)
- 2013: Saka Tsuku: Pro Soccer Club o Tsukurou! Perfect Guide (Book, JP)
- 2014: Empire: Total War (Steam Linux, US)
- 2015: Maimai PiNK (RingEdge 2, JP)
- 2021: Persona 4: The Ultimax Ultra Suplex Hold (Steam, JP)
- 2021: Persona 4 Golden (Steam, JP (Midnight Channel Collection))
You can become a part of the Sega Retro community in several different ways:
- Sign up for a Sega Retro account and become part of our group of editors (If you have a Sonic Retro account please use the same username for your account here).
- We have lots of game pages that are in desperate need of more information. If you know your way around some of these games, help us out by telling us how to play or what to expect. We also have many pages that still need to be made.
- We are always on the lookout for high quality, unmarked, genuine game media scans. If you notice a poor quality or missing scan of a game you have, please help by making a scan and replacing the bad one.
- Log on to Discord and join #sega and #wiki-talk, our dedicated channels.
- From another country or speak another language? Help us by providing otherwise difficult-to-get information about Sega in mainland Europe, Asia, Africa, and South America, or by translating texts.
- Short on ideas? Visit the "to do" page.
The Sonic the Hedgehog resource second only to Sega.
Documenting Sega history from the 1940s to present day.
The higher energy computer and video game site for NEC.
Press, pics, and the proving ground for what's next.