Batman Returns (Game Gear)
From Sega Retro
- For other games with the same name, see Batman Returns.
|System(s): Sega Game Gear|
|Licensor: DC Comics|
|Number of players: 1|
Batman Returns (バットマン・リターンズ) is a Sega Game Gear action game developed by Aspect. Based on the 1992 film Batman Returns, it features similiar gameplay to the Sega Master System version, but with emphasis on action over platforming.
The game loosely follows the plot of the film. The grotesque Penguin and his Red Triangle Gang are terrorizing Gotham City. They abduct and murder Gotham's Ice Princess and frame Batman for it. The Penguin is also running for Mayor of Gotham as part of millionaire businessman Max Shreck's schemes for consolidating control over the city. Meanwhile, Shreck's former employee Selina Kyle takes up the mantle of Catwoman after he attempts to kill her for uncovering his plans. She becomes entangled with Batman as she vows revenge.
Batman Returns is an action platformer resembling Sega's Shinobi series of games. Batman can move around with and , jump with , and crouch with . He can jump off thin platforms with +. Batman is armed with Batarangs, a bat-shaped projectile weapon similar to a boomerang or a shuriken, which he throws with . The weapon returns after it is thrown and can damage opponents on its way back as well. The player can choose between three styles of throwing the Batarang: Long Range, which is the weakest but the safest; Powerful, which is the strongest but the shortest-ranged; and Normal, which is a compromise of the two. Most enemies require more hits to be defeated with the weaker Batarangs. Batman can throw Batarangs while crouching or jumping. Enemies are momentarily stunned after being attacked. Attacks also intercept enemy projectiles. At close range, Batman punches enemies instead of throwing a Batarang.
Additionally, Batman can summon the Batmobile or (in the last two levels) the Batskiboat to destroy all enemies on screen at the cost of one Special Attack Token, which can be replenished through item pick-ups. Thebutton brings up a menu that allows Batman to change his Batarang attack or use his special attack.
Batman is also equipped with a grappling hook, which he can use by pressing again after jumping. The grappling hook attaches to the bottom of platforms and can be used to swing (if cast with forward momentum) or climb up to thin platforms (with to reel upward and then to jump onto the platform). It is often used to pass over gaps or pull Batman up to higher areas. The grappling hook can also hit things directly above Batman, which is useful for breaking open item containers or on boss encounters. Batman can also glide from great heights if the player holds for the entirety of the jump.
Batman has ten hit points, which he can lose if he touches an enemy or is hit by one of their attacks. He can find items in the stages to replenish lost hit points. If he loses all of his hit points, he loses a life. He starts with three lives and gains another every 50,000 points earned. If Batman loses all of his lives, the player can continue from the beginning of the stage.
The first four stages have three segments followed by a boss fight. At the beginning of these stages, the player is asked to choose one of two routes. The second route is generally more difficult than the first, but both routes lead to the same boss fight and the player's choice of path has no effect outside of the current stage.
The final stage has only one route with six segments and concludes with a fight against the Penguin.
On some of the boss fights, the boss and the background flicker out of phase with one another and cannot be captured in the same screen shot.
|Break open to release an item.|
|Heals Batman for two health points.|
|Heals Batman for four health points.|
|Special Attack Token|
|Grants the player another use of Batman's special attack, which calls the Batmobile or the Batskiboat to destroy all enemies on screen.|
- Main article: Batman Returns (Game Gear)/Comparisons.
- Main article: Batman Returns (Game Gear)/Magazine articles.
|Sega Retro Average|
|Game Gear, EU (Classic)|
ROM dump status
- File:BatmanReturns GG EU Box Back.jpg
- File:BatmanReturns GG JP Box Back.jpg
- https://sega.jp/history/hard/gamegear/software.html (Wayback Machine: 2018-12-07 04:57)
- GamePro, "September 1992" (US; 1992-xx-xx), page 28
- GamePro, "November 1992" (US; 1992-xx-xx), page 166
- Sega Force, "February 1993" (UK; 1993-01-14), page 47
- Sega Pro, "Christmas 1992" (UK; 1992-12-10), page 31
- Supergame, "Fevereiro 1993" (BR; 1993-02-xx), page 39
- Hobby Consolas, "Marzo 1993" (ES; 1993-xx-xx), page 29
- Todo Sega, "Abril 1993" (ES; 1993-03-15), page 2
- Micromanía (segunda época), "Abril 1993" (ES; 1993-0x-xx), page 2
- Aktueller Software Markt, "Avril 1993" (DE; 1993-03-08), page 18
- Beep! MegaDrive, "November 1992" (JP; 1992-10-08), page 30
- Computer + Video Giochi, "Aprile 1993" (IT; 1993-xx-xx), page 70
- Mean Machines: The Essential Sega Guide, "" (UK; 1993-11-18), page 165
- Hobby Consolas, "Diciembre 1992" (ES; 1992-xx-xx), page 122
- Joypad, "Novembre 1992" (FR; 1992-1x-xx), page 148
- Joystick, "Novembre 1992" (FR; 1992-1x-xx), page 146
- Mega Force, "Octobre 1992" (FR; 1992-xx-xx), page 77
- Micromanía (segunda época), "Marzo 1993" (ES; 1993-0x-xx), page 48
- Mean Machines Sega, "February 1993" (UK; 1993-01-28), page 56
- Player One, "Novembre 1992" (FR; 1992-11-10), page 132
- Player One, "Janvier/Février 1993" (FR; 1993-01-10), page 136
- Play Time, "2/93" (DE; 1993-01-07), page 108
- Score, "Cervenec 1994" (CZ; 1994-07-01), page 57
- Sega Pro, "April 1993" (UK; 1993-03-11), page 74
- Sega Force, "3/93" (SE; 1993-05-13), page 26
- Sega Force, "February 1993" (UK; 1993-01-14), page 46
- User, "Fevrouários 1993" (GR; 1993-0x-xx), page 51
- VideoGames & Computer Entertainment, "October 1992" (US; 1992-xx-xx), page 74
- Video Games, "2/93" (DE; 1993-01-27), page 121
|Batman Returns (Game Gear)|
|Batman games for Sega systems|
|Batman (1990) | Batman: Revenge of The Joker (1992) | Batman Returns (1992) | The Adventures of Batman & Robin (1995) | Justice League Task Force (1995) | Batman Forever (1995)|
|Batman Returns (1992) | The Adventures of Batman & Robin (1995) | Batman Forever (1995)|
|Batman Returns (1993)|
|Batman Returns (1993) | The Adventures of Batman & Robin (1995)|
|Batman Forever (1995)|
|Batman Forever (1996) | Batman & Robin (unreleased)|