Batman Returns (Mega-CD)
From Sega Retro
- For other games with the same name, see Batman Returns.
|System(s): Sega Mega-CD|
|Developer: Malibu Interactive, Sega of America|
|Licensor: DC Comics|
|Number of players: 1|
Batman Returns is a Sega Mega-CD action platform and driving game developed by Malibu Interactive and published by Sega. Based on the 1992 film Batman Returns, the game is an enhanced port of the earlier Batman Returns for the Mega Drive and was released in early 1993 to more positive reception, particularly in regards to the newly-added driving stages.
The game loosely follows the plot of the film. The grotesque Penguin and his Red Triangle Gang are terrorizing Gotham City. They abduct and murder Gotham's Ice Princess and frame Batman for it. The Penguin is also running for Mayor of Gotham as part of millionaire businessman Max Shreck's schemes for consolidating control over the city. Meanwhile, Shreck's former employee Selina Kyle takes up the mantle of Catwoman after he attempts to kill her for uncovering his plans. She becomes entangled with Batman as she vows revenge.
Batman Returns contains both the original action platforming game and a new pseudo-3D arcade driving game on the same disk. As both games follow the same plot, their stage order was interwoven, although each can also be played individually. When played together, the game starts with the first driving stage, then the first platforming stage, then alternates between the two until the end.
Smaller changes were made to accompany the move to CD, such as reducing the cartridge soundtrack, increasing PCM sample quality, and replacing the playable fight from the staff roll with a non-interactive sequence.
The driving sections are played as Batman piloting the Batmobile or the Batskiboat. Both vehicles are equipped with weapons for attacking foes. Batman loses a life if he runs out of time or if his vehicle takes too much damage from enemies or from hitting obstacles. Each stages consists of multiple levels, which are timed. Time is fully replenished and damage is partially repaired at the end of each level. The goal of each level is usually to destroy all of the enemies (a red bar under the health bar indicates the number of enemies remaining) or defeat a boss opponent. The first Batskiboat stage instead involves dodging obstacles and making it to the end of each level before time runs out, with a boss encounter at the end of the stage.
Both vehicles are steered with and . They accelerate with and brake with . The player can engage the turbo for a boost of speed by holding . They are equipped with machine guns, which are fired with (which can be held for continuous fire) and have unlimited ammunition. They also have heat-seeking missiles, which are fired with but are limited in supply. Batman can replenish his missiles in the Batmobile stages by driving into barrels marked with the Batman insignia.
|Streets of Gotham|
|Sewers of Gotham|
|The Penguin's Lair|
- Main article: Batman Returns (Mega Drive)#Gameplay.
Music and sound
The game was released to mixed reception. Reviewers were immediately enthralled with the new driving sections, but were still unimpressed with the previously-released action platform stages.
The scaling and rotation effects displayed in the driving sections were very well-received, and the game was resultingly considered a showcase of the Sega Mega-CD hardware.
Programmer Chris Shrigley has released the source code to the driving sections of the game on his web site.
- Game Producer: Bert Schroeder
- Music Composed and Produced by: Spencer Nilsen
- Guitars: Greg Strong
- Drums and Percussion: Brad Kaiser
- Special Thanks to the S.O.A. Testers: Terry Banks, Greg Becksted, Joe Cain, Harry Chavez, K. Higashihara, Vy Nong, Bill Person, Chris Sinclair, S.Stangenberg
- Driving Game Designers: Jeff Godfrey, James Maxwell, John O'Brien
- Platform Game Designers: James Maxwell, Bert Schroeder
- Additional Platform Design: Nancy Nakamoto, Bernie Wang
- Driving Game Backgrounds Lead Artist: Stephen Thomson
- Driving Game Vehicles Lead Artist: Jeff Godfrey
- Additional Driving Game Artists: Tom Applegate, Jeremy Cantor, Russel Comte, Damon DuBois, Robert Hemphill, Ray Huerta, Jayne Shrigley
- Platform Game Artwork: Tom Applegate, Todd Tomlinson
- Additional Platform Game Artists: Robert Hemphill, Ray Huerta, Stephen Thomson
- Driving Game Programmer: John O'Brien
- Platform Game Programmer: Andrew Green
- Game Shell Programmer: Chris Shrigley
- Sound Programmer: Brian Howarth
- Testers: Darin Johnson, Justin Monast
- Game Directors: James Maxwell, John O'Brien
- Main article: Batman Returns (Mega-CD)/Magazine articles.
|Sega Retro Average|
- Main article: Batman Returns (Mega-CD)/Technical information.
ROM dump status
- https://www.ign.com/games/batman-returns-sega-cd (Wayback Machine: 2021-04-14 07:13)
- GamePro, "June 1993" (US; 1993-xx-xx), page 66
- Computer & Video Games, "July 1993" (UK; 1993-06-15), page 100
- MegaTech, "July 1993" (UK; 1993-06-19), page 68
- Computer & Video Games, "July 1993" (UK; 1993-06-15), page 40
- Megablast, "4/93" (DE; 1993-09-29), page 34
- Sega Magazin, "September/Oktober 1993" (DE; 1993-09-01), page 11
- Select Round, "Septembre 1993" (FR; 1993-xx-xx), page 2
- Megazone, "October 1993" (AU; 1993-xx-xx), page 33
- Video Game, "Outubro 1993" (BR; 1993-xx-xx), page 6
- File:Batman Returns CD credits.pdf
- File:Batmanreturns mcd us manual.pdf, page 33
- Consoles +, "Juillet/Août 1993" (FR; 1993-0x-xx), page 130
- Electronic Gaming Monthly, "June 1993" (US; 1993-xx-xx), page 34
- Mean Machines: The Essential Sega Guide, "" (UK; 1993-11-18), page 119
- GameFan, "Volume 1, Issue 7: June 1993" (US; 1993-xx-xx), page 16
- Game Players, "Vol. 6 No. 8 August 1993" (US; 1993-0x-xx), page 118
- Game Power, "Settembre 1993" (IT; 1993-0x-xx), page 46
- Hobby Consolas, "Septiembre 1993" (ES; 1993-xx-xx), page 56
- Hyper, "December 1993" (AU; 1993-xx-xx), page 55
- Joker, "Oktober 1993" (SI; 1993-xx-xx), page 22
- Joypad, "Juillet/Août 1993" (FR; 1993-0x-xx), page 92
- Mega, "August 1993" (UK; 1993-07-15), page 42
- Mega Action, "August 1993" (UK; 1993-07-15), page 28
- Mega Force, "Mega-CD Force: Le Supplément Spécial Mega-CD" (FR; 1993-xx-xx), page 28
- Mega Fun, "09/93" (DE; 1993-08-18), page 33
- Mega Play, "June 1993" (US; 1993-0x-xx), page 58
- Mega Power, "August 1993" (UK; 1993-07-29), page 42
- Mean Machines Sega, "August 1993" (UK; 1993-06-30), page 68
- Megazone, "October 1993" (AU; 1993-xx-xx), page 32
- Power Up!, "Saturday, October 16, 1993" (UK; 1993-10-16), page 1
- Sega Magazin, "September/Oktober 1993" (DE; 1993-09-01), page 10
- Sega Power, "August 1993" (UK; 1993-07-01), page 42
- Sega Pro, "August 1993" (UK; 1993-07-08), page 42
- Sega Zone, "August 1993" (UK; 1993-07-22), page 38
- Sega Force Mega, "August 1993" (UK; 1993-06-24), page 36
- Sega Force, "5/94" (SE; 1994-08-10), page 33
- Sonic the Comic, "12th June 1993" (UK; 1993-06-12), page 11
- Supergame, "Junho 1993" (BR; 1993-06-xx), page 20
- Super Juegos, "Septiembre 1993" (ES; 1993-0x-xx), page 104
- Todo Sega, "Septiembre 1993" (ES; 1993-0x-xx), page 30
- Video Games, "9/93" (DE; 1993-08-25), page 38
|Batman Returns (Mega-CD)|
|Batman games for Sega systems|
|Batman (1990) | Batman: Revenge of The Joker (1992) | Batman Returns (1992) | The Adventures of Batman & Robin (1995) | Justice League Task Force (1995) | Batman Forever (1995)|
|Batman Returns (1992) | The Adventures of Batman & Robin (1995) | Batman Forever (1995)|
|Batman Returns (1993)|
|Batman Returns (1993) | The Adventures of Batman & Robin (1995)|
|Batman Forever (1995)|
|Batman Forever (1996) | Batman & Robin (unreleased)|